Friday, December 28, 2012

More on the Evils of Hipsters Invading Goth and Grunge

That title is completely facetious. There is nothing wrong with Hipsters, nor their interest in Grunge and Goth. The post that still has more views than the rest of my posts combined (Pastel Goth, Nu Goth, and Hipster Goth) still holds a lot left unsaid. I just described their differences, how they could be considered Goth, and a vague little 'be nice to them'.

Look at this outfit. Is it that bad, if you get past the label of 'Nu Goth'? I don't think so. Could it be Goth?
Well, look here.
There's the big question.
Could it be Goth?
Who's to say what is and is not Goth? Why, it's the person wearing it! If they know the basics of Goth and consider yourself one, no one can tell you any different. These Basics of Goth are something lots of people have disagreed with me on. I think it would be very, very helpful if you knew the minimum, the most basic smidgen of knowledge:
  • The History- No, not as far back as the Visigoths, silly goose. I mean the modern movement with big hair and ripped pantyhose pulled over heads. My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult was the first band where the followers were called "goths" in an interview in 76-78 (this entire sentence was taken from a Facebook conversation with another blogger). Then, Bela Lugosi's Dead came up and the sound was called Goth. The rest is history. 
If Ashley Joncas (the Nu Goth pictured) identified, she could be a Goth. She could have a skewed idea of it, but she could still be one. She wouldn't need to know the history; there are no requirements because we are all accepting. Well, we are supposed to be.
I'm being sidetracked.

 I don't know anything about the original Grunge movement, but I'm sure it had little to do with pastels. BUT (you knew there would be a but, didn't you? You are all VERY smart) the adjectives 'soft' and 'pastel' are used. An adjective is 'a word or phrase naming an attribute, added to or grammatically related to a noun to modify or describe it'. Notice the modify. The style, as far as I can tell, is somewhat influenced by grunge fashion.

If you have a tumblr account, you'll know about the 'geeks girl' controversy. Male geeks will approach females wearing comic book related clothing or buying comic books will be harassed about knowing everything about these books, or games, or cards. You don't need to know everything about Goth or grunge. It would certainly be helpful, but it's very near impossible to know everything. In my opinion, you should know some very basic things and you should definitely have an interest in your subculture (if you don't, you need to rethink your motives).

 In short, hipsters being interested in Goth and grunge isn't a bad thing, whether they identify as part of the subculture or influenced by it. This is society becoming more accepting of us black-clad spooksters; accept it. 

If you have any questions, comments, or flame wars in the making, please send them to me here. 

-HRH LittleGothCat

2 comments:

  1. Great post :3

    I'm not too into anything that puts Pastel and Grunge together.
    It just doesn't sit right with me - before I considered myself Goth, I wore a lot of grunge-y type clothes and people didn't think it was 'cool' at the time.

    Now it's so HIP AND AWESOME. Call me a hipsturrr but Pfffffffffffffffft to that! Silly trends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. You are such a wise individual and what a way with words. I wish I could post something about this topic half as eloquently as you!

    ReplyDelete